What's so funny about being a home-based business owner? Well, some days ... nothing. Those are the days you'd rather pull your hair out, beat your head against the wall or just plain 'ol freak out.
There are bad days in business and when you're working alone from home, those days can be a lot harder to take.
This morning I enjoyed my first laughing yoga session. It was quite fun and even more importantly, very educational.
We all know laughter makes us feel good. It can turn a mood around, change the energy in a room, stop a fight in its tracks and even heal our bodies.
Stress is going to be a part of our lives forever and there will be bad days in life and business, so we have a choice ... let it hurt us or keep it from growing into a raging monster.
As you go about your daily business, make a point of laughing throughout the day, even if you just don't feel like it. Why? Here are a few good reasons...
1. Laughter is a coping mechanism for stress.
2. Your body doesn't know the difference between fake laughter or real laughter, so you'll reap the same health benefits whether you're forcing laughter or genuinely laughing.
3. Cardiovascular-wise, one minute of laughter is equivalent to 10 minutes on a rowing machine. Your heart rate can increase to 120 beats per minute with laughter.
4. Laughter is a natural pain killer. It releases endorphins reducing the intensity of pain.
5. Laughter boosts your immune system. It increases the activity of natural killer cells that help fight disease.
6. Laughter lowers blood pressure.
7. Laughter alleviates bronchitis and asthma.
8. Laughter increases the blood supply and efficiency of internal organs.
9. Laughter massages your internal organs, enhancing blood supply and increasing their efficiency, thus promoting regularity.
10. Laughter encourages people to breathe properly as during laughter, the exhalation releases the residual air in the lungs.
11. Laughter increases antibodies in the mucous of the nose and respiratory system.
12. Laughter reduces depression.
So, what will you do the next time you're feeling angry, frustrated or sad? Hopefully, you'll laugh your way out of it.
This might sound crazy, but it really works and if you aren't in an environment where you can laugh out loud, make a point of looking at your reflection in a mirror, window or any reflective material and give yourself a big, full tooth smile.
Then when you're alone, think of those 10 or 20 grins you gave yourself that day and have a good laugh about it.
Bring laughter back into your daily life and you'll be surprised at how soon you start feeling pretty darned wonderful.
*If you're in the Sudbury, Ontario area, look up Sari Huhtala of Cheer Factor. She's a phenomenal laughter yoga instructor.
"The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that's laughter. The moment it arises, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations and resentments slip away, and a sunny spirit takes their place." - Mark Twain
Want to use this article in your web site or ezine? You're more than welcome to as long as you include the following author bio in its entirety.
Laurie Hayes is the expert and visionary behind The HBB Confidential, a no-cost bi-weekly ezine for home-based business owners. Each issue delivers simple strategies you can use right away to build a profitable home business while creating fun and freedom in your life! Go to http://www.thehbbsource.com to learn more.